Friday, October 26, 2012

Russianish Apple Cake


Told ya I was going to make this cake

Well, I tried to make that cake, but some things got changed and added and... It's not exactly what I'm willing to call a bonafide apple sharlotka. Especially since I know several people who I'm pretty sure have strong opinions on what an apple sharlotka is.

I'll just stick to Russian Apple Cake. Nope, not even that. RussianISH Apple Cake. 

Here's whyI over-beat the eggs and I added bourbon.Which means a crunchy meringue-esque top and a delicious hint of bourbon.

You're welcome.

Trust me. This cake is super easy and ridiculously good. Ask all the people at my office. The cake was gone before I could even get my second cup of coffee. 

Good thing I have more apples!

Start off by peeling and coring the apples.


Then chop them in half, each half into quarters, and each quarter into 1/4" thick slices.


Pile them high in a greased 9" springform pan.

In a large bowl, beat the eggs and the sugar until light in color and you can see the waves from the beater in the egg-sugar mixture. It will take a minute or so. 


Beat in the vanilla and the bourbon. 


Stir the flour in with a spoon. 


Pour over the apple mixture and gently smoosh down so that the batter goes in all the crevices. 



Bake for an hour or so until golden brown on top.


Let sit for 10 minutes before popping the pan and diving in....

  
 Yum!!



Russianish Apple Cake
Makes 1 9" cake
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen

8 medium Pippin or Granny Smith apples (or 6 large or 10 small)
3 eggs
1 c. sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 tbsp bourbon
1 c. flour
powdered sugar (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Peel and core the apples. Slice each in half, then each half into quarters. Slice each quarter into 1/4" triangles. Pile high in a greased and lined 9" springform pan. 

In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar together with an electric beater. Beat until it's light yellow in color and you can see the waves in the egg mixture when you're beating it. It will take a little while.

Beat in vanilla and bourbon. Stir the flour in with a spoon. Pour the thick batter over the apples and smoosh it gently into all the cracks. The batter should be level with the apples. 

Bake for 1 hour, or until golden brown on top. 

Dust with powdered sugar after slicing. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment