Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Butternut & Arugula Pasta Bowl


I've been making some variation of this recipe for years now. The recipe book it's from is one I bought when Mr. S and I had just started dating.

I had found the book while wondering around a Barnes & Noble, leafed through it, loved it, but decided to not get it just then. Foolish, foolish mistake.

I decide a few days later that I needed it, but the by the time I got back, the book was gone! And I stupidly had not written down the name of the book, so I couldn't get it on Amazon. I spent weeks stalking the cookbook section of B&N. It was pathetic.

Finally - success! It appeared and I snapped it up. Triumph! 


This is quite possibly my favorite recipe from the book. Simple, yet delicious.

We eat this a lot during the fall. This and the brussels sprout/chickpea dish. I love fall.

And yes - I'm calling this a bowl, but served it on a plate with upturned edges. It's ok. The world will continue to spin. 

Start with butternut squash, red onion, and rosemary.


ps. if you need some advice on squash cutting (to preserve all 10 digits), check this out.

Toss in olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes. 


Take out of the oven and drizzle with honey. Roast for another 20. 


Boil up your penne pasta. Reserve about a 1/3 of a cup of the pasta water. 

[I didn't take a photo of the pasta cooking. I'm fairly certain you know what that looks like]

If you timed it right, dump the roasted veggies in the pot with the pasta. 


Add feta and the pasta water. 


Then toss in the arugula and a squeeze of lemon juice. 


Mix it all up.....


Serve and enjoy!

Butternut & Arugula Pasta Bowl
Makes 2 1/2 servings. Possibly 3 if you aren't married to a garbage disposal.
Adapted from Bowl Food

1/2 a butternut squash, peeled and cubed
1 small red onion, chopped into large-ish pieces
2 tsp fresh rosemary,chopped
2 tbp olive oil
salt & pepper
~1 tbsp honey
penne pasta (1/4 of a box)
1 4 oz tub of feta
a few handfuls of arugula
gentle squeeze of lemon juice

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Toss all the veggies and the oil together, and season with salt and pepper. Toss in the oven for 20 minutes. 

After the 20 minutes is up, start the pot of water for the pasta and remove the veggies from the oven. Drizzle the honey over the veggies and stick them back in the oven. Cook the pasta for the allotted time on the box. When the pasta is done, reserve a 1/3 c. of the pasta water and drain the pasta.

In the pasta pot, mix the pasta with the roasted veggies, add the feta and pasta water. Then mix in the arugula and gently squeeze the lemon half over the top. 

Serve immediately. 

If you intentionally made leftovers - don't add in the lemon juice and arugula. Keep them separate and add after you've reheated the pasta/veggie/feta mix.


No comments:

Post a Comment