Friday, February 24, 2012

San Francisco Polenta Bread


I like to bring home "treasures" from the grocery store. New-to-me, exciting little things with which I can play. Typically things that go well with butter. Not a rule, but it usually turns out that way.

I blame this habit entirely on my mother. When I was young, I would go with her to the grocery store. In order to keep me happy/occupied/expand my horizons, she would occasionally let me pick out something weird and we would buy it. This is how we tried star fruit, kumquats, and many other things that my Midwestern mother didn't know what to do with. We would adventure.

This has directly led to my purchase of Golden Pheasant Polenta.


It was on the shelf at Safeway. I'd never seen this brand before. The packaging was pretty. There were recipes on the back.


We didn't have any polenta at home... *rationalize, rationalize, rationalize*

And since we are so close to San Fran, I decided that the first thing I would make would be the bread. It was a good choice.

First, the sifted flour. I want to share a trick that my entire extended family uses - waxed paper.


Sift flour onto waxed paper. Spoon what you need into the measuring cup (don't pack it down - the whole point of sifting is to add air).


Pick up the paper and use it to pour the excess flour back into the container.

Fold up the paper and store under your sifter for the next time.


You now have a clean counter, and you've not wasted any flour. You're welcome.

Back to the bread -

Mix the dry ingredients together.


Mix the wet ingredients together.


Mix the wet into the dry.


Pour into a greased 8x8.


Bake until golden.


Eat with butter and honey.


That was totally not hard.

San Francisco Polenta Bread
Adapted from Golden Pheasant Polenta bag
Serves 6-8

1 c. sifted flour
1 c. polenta
3 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. sugar
1 c. milk
1/4 c. vegetable oil
1 egg

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, mix together flour, polenta, baking soda, salt, and sugar. In a smaller bowl, mix milk, oil, and egg, making sure to mix well enough to beat the egg. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Combine with a few quick strokes. Pour into greased 8x8 glass baking dish. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until golden brown. 

Watch out - it goes fast!





3 comments:

  1. I think I should get partial credit for this blog. MegsieMay Makes and My Mother Made Me....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m not sure anyone has mentioned this, but it should be 3 tsp. Baking POWDER, and bake for 20-25 minutes. I couldn’t figure out why all I tasted was baking soda😂. I’ve made this often, but haven’t been able to get Golden Pheasant polenta lately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is THE BEST polenta and polenta bread recipe. Just Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete