Friday, December 14, 2012

Cranberry Walnut Bread


I'll admit it. 

I impulse-bought a bag of cranberries. 

Back in November. 

Before Thanksgiving.

And as of a few days ago, there they sat. Languishing in my fridge. Taunting me whenever I opened the door.

They were so pretty, and I know they taste delightful. They can be used for so many things. But I could never decide, cause I wanted them to stay pretty and not wind up a large sloppy red mess. 

 (I had a wee bit too much cranberry sauce at Thanksgiving, methinks. Note for next year.)

The jewel quality of the cranberries needed to be maintained in whatever I made. It needed to be special, yet homey. Tasty, of course. And preferably something simple....

 When I stumbled upon an iteration of this bread over on Martha's website, I knew I had a winner. 

I might have to go buy more cranberries for a second loaf!

Start with a bag of beautiful cranberries. Rinse and pick through them to make sure they are all good. Set aside.



And a good amount of chopped walnuts. 



Mix all the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and brown sugar (I was out of brown sugar so I used white sugar and some molasses) in a large bowl.



Whisk together the wets (milk, egg, melted butter, and vanilla).



Pour the wets into the dry, and quickly combine.



Add in the walnuts and cranberries.



Pour in a well-greased loaf pan.



Slice and serve with delight!




Cranberry Walnut Bread
Makes 1 loaf
Adapted from Martha Stewart

2 c. flour
1 c. packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 egg
3/4 c. milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
4 tbsp butter, melted
1 bag (12 ounces) fresh cranberries
1/2 - 3/4 c. chopped walnuts (depending on how much you like nuts)

 Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease (or spray) a loaf pan. 

In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a different bowl, combine the milk, egg, vanilla, and butter. Quickly whisk the wet into the dry. Lumps are ok. Stir in the cranberries and walnuts.

Pour into the greased loaf pan and bake for 75 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Flip out of the pan and slice with a serrated knife, so you can go cleanly through the berries.

No comments:

Post a Comment