Monday, November 26, 2012

Texas Rosemary Cookies


Story time!

Way back when I worked at the science journal (holla!), there was a girl that worked there who also had family and friends in Texas. One day, she came in to work toting a box of amazing cookies. As soon as I had eaten one, I immediately licked my chops and started scheming as to how fast I could make my own. So, of course, I asked her for the recipe. 

She smiled very sweetly and told me that they were made with a secret spice mix from the South Texas Herb Society, located in Houston, Texas. That had been shipped to her specifically from their annual herb market. That was only held once a year. That you had to purchase advanced tickets for. 

AAAAAAAAARGH!

"I know people in Houston," I thought. "I can actually procure this magic mix."

And WHEN was the next market day? Why, the one Saturday in October when everyone I knew in Houston would be in Virginia, watching me GET MARRIED.

Talk about bad timing. 

I, then, did what any normal cookie-spice-wanting person would do. I Googled the heck out of them. On their website was a phone number and a mailing address. I called and left messages, describing my situation. Multiple times. No one returned them. So I wrote a letter, pleading my case. No response. 

So, I (impatiently) waited a year. And then begged my mom to go to the market and procure me 100 or so bags of this magical spice mix. She sent me 10, which was entirely acceptable. I made the cookies immediately, and relished in the deliciousness. 

However - there's only 3 ingredients in this magical mix. Rosemary, Ginger, and Cloves. 

I'm a smart girl. I can figure this out. 

And I did.

Now you can benefit from my obsession. 

Cream butter and sugar.


Beat in molasses and an egg. 


Then flour, baking soda, ginger, cloves, salt, and finely chopped rosemary.



Mix well.


Roll into balls about the size of an acorn (Yes, they are small. The cookies spread out.)


Bake for 11-12 minutes. Till they puff up and a just barely brown around the edges. 



Remove from oven and let sit for 4-5 minutes. The cookies fall and crisp up. 


Try not to eat them all before you serve them.....

Texas Rosemary Cookies
Adapted from the South Texas Herb Society's Rosemary's Cookies 
Makes 3-4 dozen

3/4 c. butter
1 c. sugar
1 egg
1/4 c. molasses 1 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 tsp ground cloves
1 1/2 tsp ginger
1 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary (or 3/4 tsp dried rosemary)

Preheat the oven to 325° F. Cream butter and sugar together in a large bowl. Beat in molasses and egg. Beat in flour, baking soda, salt, and spices. Roll into balls the size of an acorn, about 1 tsp sized. Bake on a lined cookie sheet for 11-12 minutes. Cookies will spread out and puff up, browning just slightly around the edges.

Allow to cool for 4-5 minutes on the pan before plating. Cookies deflate and become crispy. Or you can eat them warm and sorta bendy. I won't tell.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment