Wednesday, July 4, 2012

All-American BLTs



Happy 4th of July!

Oooops. My Americana is showing again.

I've had the privilege to be out of the country on the 4th a few times. And let me tell you, the whole world thinks you're nuts if you are. These kind people in whatever country you're in wish you a happy 4th, and proceed to try to celebrate with you. They look at you like a 3-headed alien, as if wanting to say: "You fool!! How can you miss your country's birthday?? You must have been tricked. No one in their right mind would miss such an important event."

And thus, I typically eat something super-American no matter where I'm at. Like a BLT. 

Pick some fresh bread up from the local baker. This is a sweet boule from the Acme Bakery stand at the Sunnyvale farmer's market. They have the most delicious bread.


Gently slather on some fresh herb butter. (Go pick whatever is out in your herb garden. Mix with soft butter.)


Toast it up nicely. 


Pick the best heirloom tomatoes you can find. 


Enjoy the beauty of the cross-section!

Fry or bake up some bacon (be sure to make extra for sneaky fingers). 


And assemble!

Toast, a small smear of mayo, lettuce, bacon, tomato. 


So simple, yet so good. 

I love this holiday.

And I love this country!

No comments:

Post a Comment