Friday, February 15, 2013

Basic Skills: Mashed Potatoes


So yesterday was Valentine's day. We had the best meal ever. Steak and mashed potatoes. 

I looooooooove mashed potatoes. Just ask my Grandma. 

Honestly, I think at least 40% of my desire to go up to Indiana to see her derived from the fact that I knew she would make mashed potatoes for me at least 7 or 8 times in a one week period. 

I love my Grandma. 

And I can't think of anyone better to honor by emulating than her. You guys - she's fantastic. After she graduated college in 19-ahem, she moved to Chicago to work for McCall's magazine. Seriously you guys. McCall's. Eleanor Roosevelt wrote for McCall's.

When Grandma left McCall's (to marry my Grandpa, live on a farm in Indiana, and become an English teacher), they gave her a wedding present of re-doing the kitchen in their farm house. And making it the cover story of one of their issues. 

My Grandma ROCKS. 

And so do her mashed potatoes. 

Such a wonderful thing, mashed potatoes. Definitely a Basic Skill. 

Start off with the brown baking potatoes. 


Peel them. You don't have to get super persnickety about it. A little peel is a-ok. 


Quarter them and put them in a pot and cover them with water.  


Boil them for 20-25 minutes, until you can pierce them through with a fork. Drain. 


Get out your handy dandy hand mixer! Grandma's is a little bit more experienced than mine, but I think mine did an ok job. First, smash the potatoes.



Then add 2 tbsp of butter and a 1/4 c. of milk. Beat. 


Add a 1/4 c. of cream (or more milk). Beat. 


Add a 1/2 tsp of salt. Beat. Taste and add more milk as needed by the tablespoon. 


Mind you, Grandma never measures ANYTHING. She's the Jedi Master of mashed potatoes. 

And I'm the happy apprentice who gets to eat them!


Don't worry. My leftover steak will go great with scrambled eggs on Saturday morning.

Grandma's Farmhouse Mashed Potatoes
Faithfully remembered from peeking over the counter at Grandma's house
Serves 4 (or one Megan and one Austin)

2 large brown baking potatoes
2 tbsp butter
1/4 c. + a few tbsp milk
1/4 c. cream (or more milk)
1/2 tsp salt

Peel potatoes and quarter them. Transfer them to a pot and cover with water. Boil for 20-25 minutes, until tender enough to be pierced through with a fork and light pressure. Drain. Add the butter and milk. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Add cream and salt. Beat again. Taste and add more salt, milk, and butter as required. 

Pile high and serve with a large spoon! Grandma's table typically has pork chops or ham and mashed potatoes, occasionally steak, and sometimes even burgers. Mmmmmm. Mashed potatoes!




No comments:

Post a Comment