Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Summer Bread Salad


I'm back!

I had a great time in Africa. The people are just so beautiful. I spent far too much time behind the camera lens. 


When I wasn't snapping away, I was eating platefuls that looked like this:


Oh yeah. That's several types of meat stews and injera (the sour spongey bread of Ethiopia). 

Needless to say, I was very eager to see lighter fare when we got home.

Not that the first meal home was exactly healthy.... frozen ravioli and roasted brussels sprouts. At least it was quick and easy, since jetlag took hold far too early. 
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

But the next day? I wanted summer. On a plate. 

Slice up some nectarines or peaches. 


Coarsely chop some basil.


Cube up a half loaf of French bread. 


Douse cubed bread with olive oil and salt. (I used my citrus olive oil, delicious!)


Broil the cubes to toast them nicely. 


Combine all of the above with cubed mozzarella, some olive oil, and a bit of that balsamic syrup that's been on the counter for far too long...



Ahhhhh. Time to sort more Ethiopia photos!
 


Summer Bread Salad
Serves 4

1/2 loaf of French bread, cubed
3 large nectarines (or peaches), sliced
handful of basil, roughly chopped
1 ball mozzarella
olive oil
balsamic syrup
salt 

Toss the cubed bread with a few tablespoons of olive oil and a sprinkling of salt. Broil in the oven until golden brown all over, turn the cubes at least once.

In a nice serving bowl, combine the bread, nectarines, basil, and mozzarella. Drizzle olive oil and balsamic syrup over it. Sprinkle with salt.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment