Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Coconut Rice with Glazed Mangoes



This is a nice little dessert that doesn't require much attention. And it looks really fancy! Especially if you add a sprig of mint.

Not that you need to be fancy to eat it. 

I was wearing sweatpants when I made it. 

I'm sure that surprises no one. 

In any case, it is a nice dessert to serve to folks at a weeknight dinner party. Or at a sweatpants-wearing party. I should totally invite people over for one of those!

First off, the coconut rice - 

Rice, coconut milk, water, and sugar. Cook till the rice is tender.


Now, we've got to slice up that mango. I use the yellow, champagne mangoes when I can find them (They are in season RIGHT NOW. Run to your grocery store!!). They're my favorite. 


Those mangoes get sauteed in a bit of butter. Just to warm them up. 


Here comes the fun part!


That's maple syrup and rum. Special dark rum from my favorite monkish brother-in-law. He picked it up for us in Hawaii. I'll definitely get more when we finish this bottle. If I can find it. 

Not that I'd be mad if we had to go all the way to Hawaii to get it....

Aloha!

So we wait while the rum and maple syrup caramelize on the mangoes.


It takes a few minutes. Be patient. The liquid gets sticky and concentrated. And delicious. 

Now you're ready to plate!

Create a little ball of rice. Top with glazed mangoes. Dig in!




Coconut Rice with Glazed Mangoes
Makes 4 servings

For Rice:
1 can coconut milk
3 coconut milk cans of water
1 1/2 c. rice
2 tbsp brown sugar

For Glazed Mangoes:
4 mangoes
2 tbsp butter
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c. maple syrup
1/4 c. rum (or more)


In a large pot, combine coconut milk and water. Bring to a boil. Add rice and sugar. Let cook for 15-20 minutes, or until tender. If rice gets too thick, add water to thin out.

Slice the mangoes into thin strips. Sautee them in a large pan with the butter. Add the maple syrup, salt, and the rum. Allow to simmer until caramelized, about 5-7 minutes. 

Create firm balls of rice. I packed rice in a small bowl and flipped it out. You can make the balls ahead of time and refrigerate them.

Top the rice balls with hot mangoes. Serve!






No comments:

Post a Comment